1872 Rules for Teachers
ules for Teachers written in 1872 paint a different time of what it meant to be appointed an educator. Teachers were custodians and educators. Try making that a part of the job description today. Today, many teachers work several jobs, tutor, or use other skills to meet their obligations. In 1872, it appears teachers were responsible for providing supplies.
1. Teachers each day will fill lamps, clean chimneys.
2. Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day’s session.
How early did a teacher have to rise in order to fulfill these obligations?
3. Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs to the individual tastes of the pupils.
4. Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week, if they go to church regularly.
Now, that's an incentive! Going to church, I mean.
5. After ten hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining time reading the Bible or other good books.
Quite a few limitations including how one spends their free time.
6. Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.
WOW! Women must remain single? Marriage, pregnancy and their obligations to their families are counterproductive to teaching other children.
7. Every teacher should lay aside from each pay a goodly sum of his
earnings for his benefit during his declining years so he will not
become a burden on society.
8. Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop will give good reason to suspect his worth, intention, integrity and honesty.
Male teachers must practice other forms of physical hygiene.
9. The teacher who performs his labor faithfully, and without fault, for five years, will be given an increase of twenty-five cents per week in his pay, providing the Board of Education approves.
I wonder how long a contract is, how old are teachers when they start. Are the criteria universal - throughout all colonies?
10. You may ride in a buggy with a man, if the man is your father or your brother.
Female teachers may have moved to locations where there are no relatives. This limits their ability to travel.
Source: “The Historical News” State of South Carolina, Aiken, Bamberg, Barnwell, Lexington and Orangeburg Counties; Vol. 37, No. 5-SC, July 2017, p.1
Fur Baby Lounge
coming soon; web site is under construction
Gifts from Spirit Discernment
Gifts from Spirit Prophesy
Gifts from Spirit blank note cards coming soon!
Doesn't the dormouse in the heather appear to be smiling? I found out from the Comedy Wild Life Photography Awards web site that Mr. Andrea Zampatti is the photographer. Please visit his web site for more fascinating images that he was in the right place at the right time to capture.
When time permits, I intend to hold drawings to create
for the winners whose names are drawn for each. To enter, your name and email address will be required. It will be added to a mailing list to receive updates about In-Vesica. In-Vesica will post the art work on this web site and in other publications. Services explains what is involved in creating these helpful tools. The images will be displayed at In-Vesica and the In-Vesica Art Gallery hosted by Art Wanted.com.
Of course, I collect your email and, thereafter, you will receive periodic updates on In-Vesica - spiritual development; health coaching; energetic healing; art and design, when projects will be launched, and what I eat (I'm kidding!).
by Allison L. Williams Hill
"I bring you boundless joy."
Cloudscape blank note cards coming soon.
P.J. during a search...
Japanese Stone Statues
Article: What is Psychological Design?
Article: Peace Be Your Sanctuary